Blogroll

Sunday 26 April 2009

Anzac Biscuits



Australians celebrate Anzac Day on the 25th of April. It is a national day of remembrance to honour the soldiers who fought in the World War I.

Traditionally, Anzac Biscuits are baked by the anxious moms and wifes during the World War I and packed into food parcels to be sent out to the soldiers in the trenches.

Every Anzac Day, I would look into my pantry for ingredients to bake these yummy cookies. They are really simple, and require only staple ingredients to make. Yesterday, I made these cookies. I ran out of oat, which I usually have in abundance! So instead of using oats, I subsituted with sultana flakes which worked out very well. Each bite is crunchy, and the sultana bits were chewy and nice. The kids loved them and so did we!

Ingredients:

1 cup plain flour
1 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sultana flakes/rolled oats
125g butter, melted
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp boiling water
1 tbsp golden syrup

The original recipe asked for 1 cup of sugar. I usually cut down the sugar by half, but find that the cookies were still a little sweet. It could be that the sultanas added the extra sweetness to it.

Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in all dry ingredients. Fizz out the soda in hot boiling water. Gently fold in butter, golden syrup and soda mixture. Roll into balls, flatten slightly and bake in slow oven for 20 minutes. Cool slightly before eating!

See? Too easy!
Best Blogger Tips

No comments: