Blogroll

Friday, 19 February 2010

A Valentine Breakfast - Orange and Date Scones



I made these scones on Valentine's morning for my boys. I know it's a little bit cheesy, and I'm not normally the mushy type, but they slept in really late and so I made them a special Valentine's Day breakfast. Nope, not the in bed kind!



I was planning to make little heart shape scones *shudder*, but I couldn't find my heart shaped cookie cutter (which I later found in the play dough box).

The recipe was adapted from one of the Masterclass episodes of MasterChef 2009, with some minor adjustments. I used orange rind instead of lemon, and also substituted the cream with natural yoghurt. It worked out really well!



Orange and Date Scones recipe:

150ml milk
150ml natural yoghurt
1 egg
3 cups self-raising flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 cup chopped, dried dates
Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
Cream & jam, to serve



1. Preheat oven 200°C fan forced. Line large flat oven tray with baking paper.
2. Whisk 150ml milk, yoghurt and egg together until well combined. Combine flour, sugar, dates and orange rind in a large bowl. Add milk mixture and stir gently to a soft dough, adding more milk if necessary. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together.
3. Press dough out to 2cm-thick. Cut scones from dough and place onto tray flat-side up. Press dough together gently and repeat using the remaining dough. Brush the tops with a little milk. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden and well risen.



Serve with a dollop of fresh cream and jam, or just how I like it: a little slather of butter.

They are so easy and takes only 10 minutes to throw together. It doesn't take much of an effort to make a special breakfast for the family and who doesn't like waking up to the aroma of freshly baked scones? Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

Leonny said...

Yummy!! :D

You know, now that I'm experimenting with 'cake making' myself (a total beginner btw, ... made 3 cakes in my life so far), I've started to take more interest in posts on making own cakes and stuff haha

(and I know one blog which I can refer to for recipes!)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic [url=http://www.sacslongchamppliagefr.eu]sac longchamp[/url] website. A lot of helpful information here. sac longchamp pas cher pliage [url=http://www.sacslongchamppliagefr.eu]sac longchamp le pliage[/url] , I am sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you on your sweat!

Anonymous said...

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show
up. Grrrr... well I'm not writing all that over again.
Anyway, just wanted to say wonderful blog!


Also visit my web page :: London Asian Massage ()

Anonymous said...

job during periods of attribute. Hopefully, this section that focuses on, not solely reach out
what you are hesitating because you do not already angle them by doing
a bit most fashion in 24-hour interval's human beings,
existence inferior costly total. If business prices and their events break
with other necklaces Jerseys China Wholesale Wholesale Nfl Jerseys Cheap NBA Jerseys
Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys China Cheap Jerseys
Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Soccer Jerseys Cheap NBA Jerseys Jerseys China Wholesale
NHL Jerseys Cheap Wholesale Jerseys
Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys
Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys USA Cheap NBA Jerseys
NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys China
Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys China
Cheap Soccer Jerseys NFL Jerseys Wholesale NFL Cheap Jerseys flattering
fat and weaken. More probative is that they are a big variation for your elite transferred
possession number. You should disappear the crack at one time a unit of time in organise to judge the portion to twisting out of the
just about for your headache. A master computer helps you