Blogroll

Friday 19 February 2010

A Valentine Breakfast - Orange and Date Scones



I made these scones on Valentine's morning for my boys. I know it's a little bit cheesy, and I'm not normally the mushy type, but they slept in really late and so I made them a special Valentine's Day breakfast. Nope, not the in bed kind!



I was planning to make little heart shape scones *shudder*, but I couldn't find my heart shaped cookie cutter (which I later found in the play dough box).

The recipe was adapted from one of the Masterclass episodes of MasterChef 2009, with some minor adjustments. I used orange rind instead of lemon, and also substituted the cream with natural yoghurt. It worked out really well!



Orange and Date Scones recipe:

150ml milk
150ml natural yoghurt
1 egg
3 cups self-raising flour
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 cup chopped, dried dates
Finely grated rind of 2 oranges
Cream & jam, to serve



1. Preheat oven 200°C fan forced. Line large flat oven tray with baking paper.
2. Whisk 150ml milk, yoghurt and egg together until well combined. Combine flour, sugar, dates and orange rind in a large bowl. Add milk mixture and stir gently to a soft dough, adding more milk if necessary. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently until dough comes together.
3. Press dough out to 2cm-thick. Cut scones from dough and place onto tray flat-side up. Press dough together gently and repeat using the remaining dough. Brush the tops with a little milk. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden and well risen.



Serve with a dollop of fresh cream and jam, or just how I like it: a little slather of butter.

They are so easy and takes only 10 minutes to throw together. It doesn't take much of an effort to make a special breakfast for the family and who doesn't like waking up to the aroma of freshly baked scones? Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

Leonny said...

Yummy!! :D

You know, now that I'm experimenting with 'cake making' myself (a total beginner btw, ... made 3 cakes in my life so far), I've started to take more interest in posts on making own cakes and stuff haha

(and I know one blog which I can refer to for recipes!)

Anonymous said...

Fantastic [url=http://www.sacslongchamppliagefr.eu]sac longchamp[/url] website. A lot of helpful information here. sac longchamp pas cher pliage [url=http://www.sacslongchamppliagefr.eu]sac longchamp le pliage[/url] , I am sending it to some friends ans additionally sharing in delicious. And obviously, thank you on your sweat!