Blogroll

Sunday 19 September 2010

Dig, Plant, Grow...

...water, harvest, chop, cook.

There's a certain satisfaction in watching your kitchen garden grow that is unexplainable. The seeds that we sow, sprout little shoots, leaves, flowers. The slugs and snails come uninvited, aphids, caterpillars and downy mildew. And it takes such a long time! Not to mention the costs, laying down a garden bed, seeds, seedlings, soil, lime, manure, fertilisers and more.

It's so much easier to buy vegetables from the shops is it not?


This is what my cauliflower looks like, after 5 months. Just yesterday, I bought a head of cauliflower, with lovely firm white florets for $1.20.


I read in the books, that beetroot should be harvested when it is roughly the size of a tennis ball. I pulled a bunch out today. I have beetroots the size of... marbles.


Aahh... silverbeet. They are so easy to grow, I have harvested yet again and again. The leaves rich, glossy green. But no one else eats them in this household...but me. And my mother-in-law told me, once upon a time ago, in their village in China, they fed it to the pigs.

Sigh...


Brussel Sprouts! Cute little buttons that has just started to appear... I can't wait to sink my teeth into them.


Well, at least my cabbage does look semi decent if I say so myself. It is now the size of a mini (junior) football.

Nevertheless, there has been some successes (no doubt more failures) and the kids are fascinated with the whole process of it all. There is so much pleasure in stepping outside into the garden, and picking just what I need for the next meal. In saying that, my herb garden in flourishing. There is SO much mint, lemon verbena, rosemary, Vietnamese mint and coriander. Please feel free to pick some if you're in the area. A kitchen garden is rewarding after all.



And on that note, my Kitchen Garden Companion (RRP $125) arrived in the mail last week. I am so excited! I waited 2 months on pre-order from www.bookdepository.co.uk and paid a little less than $40 for it with free shipping! Stephanie Alexander is such an inspiration, an Aussie icon. Her role in initiating the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Foundation is tremendous. And this promotes a kitchen garden programme for primary schools across the country, in the belief that the earlier children learn about food through example and positive experience, the better their food choices will be through life.

Let's pray for my kitchen garden, let it be a positive experience for the sake of my children! Best Blogger Tips

7 comments:

Louisa Claire said...

your garden looks great! It shall be my inspiration.

It's been a LONG time but I've ventured back into blogland and oh my goodness you now have THREE children!! That's wonderful! Huge congratulations!!!

just wanted to say hi
xx

Louisa Claire said...

your garden looks great! It shall be my inspiration.

It's been a LONG time but I've ventured back into blogland and oh my goodness you now have THREE children!! That's wonderful! Huge congratulations!!!

just wanted to say hi
xx

Mamapumpkin said...

Awww....I've always wanted my own vegetable patch. Nice one!

Grace said...

Hi Louisa! Goodness, yes it's been a long time. Welcome back! Oh yes, it's busy time in our household, 3 kids in 4 years. Gosssshhh! Will pop by your blog...

XO
:)

Grace said...

MamaPumpkin,
Aaahhh.... how I wish I could grow lemongrass easily, or pandan leaves, or 4 angle beans (what do they call those, kacang botol?) Only in Malaysia..........
XO Grace

Anonymous said...

[url=http://vtyupdr.com]WdhYSOZrzXORSuP[/url] , OnWjehItxW , http://iluubcb.com

yanmaneee said...

nike sb
nike off white
kenzo
chrome hearts outlet
yeezy boost
birkin bag
hermes online
off white nike
golden goose sneakers
lebron james shoes